Snakke om JAMstack #1

The below text was originally written for jamstack-oslo. I am reposting it here so more people can hear about the JAMstack Oslo meetup :D


Author: Alexander Alemayhu

Aman and me had a productive meeting regarding JAMstack Oslo.
We went through the following items

  • Motivation for organizing a meetup
  • The kind of format we would like to have
  • Collaborating with Knut from Sanity and others
  • Rough sketch of potential events for the year
  • Monthly conference call for planning early in the month
  • Polishing the meetup page
  • Creating list of potential speakers to invite to talk
  • Potential contributors

Motivation for organizing a meetup

We both would like to see a JAMstack community foster in Oslo.  There are
already existing overlapping groups but we would like to have one dedicated.
With relatively frequent events (once a month).

The kind of format we would like to have

We talked about three kind of formats: Talk, Showcase and JAMstack social.  We
will likely invest the most time in the talks but very happy if anyone else
from the community wants to organize more events.

Talk

This would be the most common one. The topic, speaker, and location is
announced early in the month. We will try to schedule it on the last Tuesday of
every month.  So basically one talk per month.

In the unlikely case a speaker has to cancel Aman or me will step in with a
backup talk prepared for this occasion.

Is talk 45 minutes + 10 minutes Q&A too long?

Showcase

If you are familiar with lightning talks, then this is basically the same
thing.  We want to group a small batch of interesting projects and allow
presenters to showcase what they are working on. This could be a new feature in
your product, open source tool, etc.

How much time is enough for a lightning talk?

JAMstack social

This is a soft meetup where the focus is on getting together eating food,
enjoying beverages, and talking about tech.

It would be great if we could make this event inclusive to whoever wants to
come. Maybe we can find a sponsor for these type of event?

Collaborating with Knut from Sanity and others

We would like this meetup to outlive us so the best way we know how to do that
is to give control to anyone who takes initiative. Knut Melvær reached out over
DMs on Meetup and kindly offered hosting at the Sanity office. This is much
better than what we had initial found so I will take that offer and follow up
on email soon. Maybe we found new a co-organizer?

If by any chance someone else in Oslo is reading this and not part of the
meetup yet, please join us at JAMstack Oslo.

Rough sketch of potential events for the year

We have a lot of interesting topics in the works, so no spoilers here. Watch
out for new events on meetup :wink:

Monthly conference call for planning early in the month

As mentioned earlier we want to collaborate with more people. We will try to
actively reach out to similar user groups and see if there are opportunities
for coordinating on events.  Also anyone who wants to join planning the meetups
is welcome to do so by attending the monthly conference calls to be scheduled
on discord in the #monthly-planning room every 5th in a month from 7PM to
8PM.

Polishing the meetup page

The group Logo is currently pixilated... Aman will review the meetup page and
polish it.

Creating list of potential speakers to invite to talk

No summary here, don't want to spoil it for you ;)

Potential contributors

If you have any suggestions on topics, want to present something, or know a
friend who does.  Please reach out by either opening a discussion,
sending a DM or email. Whatever works best for you :)

Show Comments

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.